Saturday, January 26, 2013

Side Gapping Spark Plugs

This is my most unexpectedly good finding of the week. "Side Gapping Spark Plugs". I never heard of it before, so as many of the other good veteran riders in Yamaha SR 500 Forum. When i read this article it was something tempting and scary at the same time to try it on my sweet "ebony". Well, no pain, no gain right?. I had a spark plug laying around which is from my Virago 750. They were NGK BPR7ES. Currently my SR 400 is running on NGK BP6ES Spark plug so i removed it and kept it aside. Side gapped the NGK BPR7ES and put it back in the bike.

Well i guess what the old skool racers said and done was true. Side gapping clearly increased the horse power of the bike, it pulls better, idles better and i thin the fuel efficiency has increased as well. Someone might now be wandering, why the heck they initially make stock plugs like that. Well i have no idea why! but i know there are double ground strap NGK's coming with most toyota cars so it can't be that harmful. Some how the life of spark plug will decrease , but with above advantages i wouldn't mind changing my spark plug quicker than they use to be.

Only downside that i will go back to standard gaping is the engine heat. I felt that the heat that generates in the cylinder dome has increased a little bit. I think i have misunderstood it because the moment i felt it, i was riding the bike in a kind of bad condition road at slower speed, probably riding slow has heated up a little than normal and i am too paranoid over it.

here's the link with a picture guide on how to side gap a standard spark plug

http://www.instructables.com/id/Save-Gas-And-Incerase-Horsepower-By-Side-Gapping-S/

PS : I am not liable for any damage caused by doing above to your machine or your self.... So you are on your own here. :P

No comments:

Welcome to my little island on the vast ocean of web

I would like to welcome all of you to my blog, i hope you will enjoy your stay here. This place is all about Tourism, Motorcycles, Motorcycle touring, Movies, Photography, Games and almost everything i find in my way. If i see anything interesting i will definitely post it here in my little place on the web.