Sunday, September 20, 2009

Few of the oversized monsters in sri lankan roads ( motorcycles beyond 250cc in sri lanka )


Everybody who knows me knows that i am a motorcycle enthusiast, i enjoy riding as much as i enjoy every other good things in life. So this is my little blog in the internet and i thought i would put this entry in it's best possible way. Yes i know, if you are not living in sri lankan you would already be laughing at this entry because it says over-sized  monsters, well it's not like in your country fellas, in sri lanka according to the current law maximum allowed engine capacity for a motorcycle is 250cc, you cannot go beyond that. Even if you manage to go beyond that you still cannot get it legally registered in the RMV (Deparment of Registering Motor Vehicles). Lets imagine by some sheer luck and hard work you manage to get your monster registered in RMV, if she looks really big like 750cc traffic police will keep on stopping ya and asking you questions about the bike. So fellas, don't talk about riding anything beyond 650cc on the sri lankan roads. I am one of those ambitious positive people who lives in Sri Lanka that always wishes RMV will change it's laws someday so people can free go ahead with 1000cc and above and cruise the sri lankan roads. All of ya guys might be wandering right now, why the heck 250cc? :O well this is what sri lankan traffic police, RMV and government says. They say, Traffic police have 450cc, 650cc, etc and above. So if someone use to have something equivalent or above, they can always commit a crime and getaway. that's the simple objections they put when it comes to importing bigger, higher capacity machines. Personally i think it is the dumbest things i ever heard. Engine capacity do decide the speed of the bike but that is not one of the main factors as far as i see... take this for an example, an properly tuned "Honda Baja XR 250cc" can take on any 450cc conventional traffic bike after doing a crime scene and it can even go off the road without any hassle. So i think it is time for sri lankan government to think again and re do the rules and regulations.

But HEY! being a motorcycle enthusiast, rules ain't gonna stop me from riding over capacity motorcycle, so i own a Yamaha XV535, i love to cruise all around, I've been all around the island and i didn't come across any problems from law.

Phew! Touch wood fellas, here is a picture of me and my bike. I have added two more pictures of the over capacity motorcycles which i came across on the road while i am riding. they all were registered but i have taken off the registration numbers before posting it on my blog to preserve the anonymity so that riders will never have a problem including me. White tank with a golden jaguar badge is a "Honda Steed 400cc modified", and the one with nikel tank is a indian made motorcycle called "Royal Enfield 350cc Bullet".

1 comment:

Dave said...

Hi I lived in Sri Lanka for 3 years (2009-2011) and now I am in the process of buying a place in the Hill Country. I am a biler in the UK and would like to include M/cycle tours on bigger bikes for UK enthusiasts - preferably on big BMWs ... any suggestions?
Dave
davwill@hotmail.com

Welcome to my little island on the vast ocean of web

I would like to welcome all of you to my blog, i hope you will enjoy your stay here. This place is all about Tourism, Motorcycles, Motorcycle touring, Movies, Photography, Games and almost everything i find in my way. If i see anything interesting i will definitely post it here in my little place on the web.